Eat Well Play Well- At Home
Why the fuss about eating well for breakfast?
- Builds lifelong eating habits such as paying attention to what is on their plate.
- Preventive health measure towards healthy bones, teeth, and muscle.
- Supports optimal growth (i.e. height, cognitive, social, emotional functions)
- Parents can model the importance of healthy breakfast in order to ‘play’ well (i.e. sports, school)
Breakfast should be considered the most important meal of the day for children. Food fuels our brain activity and bodily functions, which allow children to feel more alert in school. Nutrients from breakfast items are critical to ensuring children have the energy to learn towards healthy eating habits of always having breakfast.
Some Tips to Speed up Breakfast Time
- Get ready –Spend a few minutes each evening preparing for breakfast the next day. Set out cereal boxes and the toaster, set the table, cut up fruit.
- Give it time – Wake up a little earlier so that everyone has time to eat breakfast. This is also a good time to talk about everyone’s plans for the day.
What Should I Make for Breakfast?
Luckily Feeding Ability provides plenty of simple and nutritious breakfast ideas under Recipe Categories: Breakfast
- Heart-Shaped French Toast
- Spinach and Red Pepper Frittata
- Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- Quick-Draw Tex-Mex Omelette
- Breakfast Mini Pizzas
- Breakfast Granola
By: Dieticians of Canada