Quick and Easy Butternut Squash Soup
Prep time: 20 mins / Cook time: 45 mins (Stove top) - 8 hrs (Crockpot) / Serves: 8 Category: Autumn
- Place squash and potatoes into a large soup pot or slow cooker
- Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan and fry the onions until translucent.
- Add in the garlic, fry until slightly browned.
- Place into the cooking vessel; add in the vegetable stock. Stir and cover.
- Cook this on your stove top in a large soup pot for approximately 45 minutes, until the vegetables are soft. Alternatively, cook on low for 8-10 hours in a slow cooker.
- Once the vegetables are softened, puree with an immersion blender or pour soup into a blender and blend until smooth. Be careful to only fill a blender 1/3 with the hot liquid. Return soup to your cooking vessel.
- Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper
- Serve warm
- OPTIONAL: Serve topped with bacon and cheese or if you want to keep it entirely vegetarian, use roasted pumpkin seeds or sour cream.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeds scooped out and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 white onion, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6-7 cups of low sodium vegetable stock
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 tbsp. old cheese, crumbled or shredded
- 1/4 c roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 c sour cream
Per 100g of butternut squash
- Vit A: 212%
- Vit C: 35%
% of Daily Value
Jazz up this recipe by adding 1/2 tsp of curry spices like garam masala when sauteing the onions and garlic for extra warmth on cold days!