Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
Prep time: 10 minutes / Cook time: 45-50 minutes / Serves: 1 loaf Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Snacks, Vegetarian
- Beat butter with 1 cup sugar. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in 4 tsp lemon zest.
- In separate bowl, whisk flour with poppy seeds, baking powder and salt.
- Into butter mixture, gradually add flour mixture, alternating with additions of milk, starting and ending with flour mixture and mix just until combined. Scrape batter into greased and parchment paper-lined 5×9 inch loaf pan. Smooth top.
- Bake in preheated 350°F oven 45-50 min. or until tester inserted into centre comes out clean. Set pan on rack to cool.
- Bring remaining sugar and lemon juice to a boil, just until sugar dissolves. Stir in remaining lemon zest.
- Remove loaf from pan, and while still warm, use a toothpick or wooden skewer to poke holes 1 inch apart, 2 inch deep into top of loaf.
- Brush lemon syrup onto top of loaf. Cool completely.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup + 3 tbsp sugar (divided)
- 3 eggs
- 5 tsp finely grated lemon zest (divided)
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
This recipe is great for breakfast, snacks and dessert!