Southwest Surprise Bread
Prep time: 30 minutes + 1 hour rising / Cook time: 40 minutes / Serves: 2 Loaves Category: Breakfast, Dinner, Snacks
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add the beans, sugar, butter, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (16 ounces) spicy fat-free refried beans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Calories 104
- Fat (1g saturated fat) 1 g
- Cholesterol 3 mg
- Sodium 219 mg
- Carbohydrate 19 g
- Sugar 2 g
- fiber 1 g
- protein 4 g