Prep time: 5 minutes / Cook time: 20 minutes / Serves: 4 Category: Breakfast
- Preheat oven to 200°F (100°C). In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In second bowl, whisk together eggs, soy beverage, zest and vanilla. Make well in dry mixture. Pour in wet mixture and stir until batter is just combined (do not over mix or pancakes will be tough.)
- Bring non-stick griddle or skillet to medium-high heat. When hot, lightly coat surface with vegetable oil. Pour batter into 4-in. (10-cm) rounds (recipe should make approx. 16 pancakes). Flip when surface is speckled with air bubbles. Continue cooking second side until centre of pancakes spring back when lightly pressed, about 1 minute.
- Keep pancakes warm in oven until full batch is ready. Serve with syrup and fresh fruit.
Tips: Instead of soy beverage, use dairy-free rice beverage. For added fibre, replace half the all-purpose flour with whole-wheat flour.
- 2 cups (500 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) sugar
- 4 tsp (20 mL) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 mL) salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups (375 mL) soy beverage
- 1 tsp (5 mL) finely grated lemon or orange zest
- 1/2 tsp (2 mL) vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- Calories 100
- Fats 1.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 35 mg
- Sodium 135 mg
- Carbs 17 g
- Fibre 1 g
- Protein 4 g