Sweet & Sour Chicken Shish Kabobs
Prep time: 20 minutes / Cook time: 10 minutes / Serves: 4 Category: Summer/Grill
- Chop pineapple, onion and sweet peppers into bite sized pieces.
- On a separate cutting board chop chicken into roughly 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch pieces
- Take all of your sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch and ⅓ cup of water, and combine them in a pot.
- Bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring well.
- Mix the ⅓ cup of water and the cornstarch together, then whisk into the hot sauce in the pot. Cook a little bit more until it’s thickened up.
- Get your skewers ready.
- Take half a cup of the sauce out of the pot and use to brush on the skewers. This sauce will now only be used to brush on the skewers while barbecuing. Do not use any leftovers on cooked chicken once it has touched the raw chicken!
- Get the skewers on the BBQ and cook until the chicken is done, brushing with more sauce frequently.
- ½ cup of white sugar
- ¼ cup of brown sugar
- ⅔ cup of water
- ¼ cup of soy sauce
- ⅓ cup of vinegar
- ¼ cup of ketchup
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- fresh pineapple chunks
- red, green & orange peppers
- large “stuffer” mushrooms
- bite sized chicken breast pieces
Serve with brown rice. Use the rest of the sauce to drizzle on the rice to give it extra flavor.